The Valley – the most common sales barrier!
The Valley of Reasons and Excuses is probably the most common sales barrier I encounter in sales teams. Not only does it affect the sales person that wanders into it…it’s likely that they will drag other sales people into it too!
Having the skills to get your Sales People out of The Valley in double quick time is vital to keep your team in the best possible mindset!
Why The Valley is your most dangerous sales barrier!
The Valley is the place we might go to when things are not going our way.
When you’re in The Valley, you come up with reasons & excuses to try and justify why you’re not generating the results you want.
When you do that, you relinquish responsibility for your results and blame someone else or something else outside of you.
What’s important to realise when you do this, is that you give up your personal power and become a victim to these external issues.
And why do people go into The Valley? Because it’s easier to blame others than to blame ourselves!
So if your sales people are struggling it’s more than likely they will be in The Valley.
So what are the signs?
- Your Sales Person will look negative and have a draining energy
- They will use negative language blaming other people or circumstances for their lack of sales
- Things will not be their fault…they are a victim
- Because…is a clue word that your Sales Person will use when they are in The Valley
The question is…what can you do about it?
If your Sales People are in The Valley your action is very easy. Simply respond to their Valley statement with…
OK…so if that’s the case…what are you going to do about it?
Be sure to maintain rapport and give them the time and space to come up with their own solutions and actions.
You can also use the following Outcome Questions:
- What do you want?
- How do you want it to be?
- What do you need to get what you want?
- What resources do you already have that will help you get what you want?
- Where are you with regards to achieving it?
- What’s the next step you can take towards getting what you want?
- When will you take this step?
Agree actions and timescales and review with them on a regular basis so they know they have your support.
Getting your people out of The Valley gives them back their power and creates more control and forward thinking…and removed the most common sales barrier I come across.
Dealing with Valley language as soon as you hear it will reduce the risk of others being dragged in…so speed is of the essence!
Until next time,
“It’s great that the courses are available to revisit time and time again.”